Autumn = Change
Image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn
by Jen Davies, nerd
Sept 2, 2026
Fall is probably my favourite season: it's warm but not hot, the leaves change and are beautiful, and generally change is in the air. I like change, too much my spouse would probably say. I have none planned for myself this fall, for a change, not even a new haircut.
It's going to be a hell of a fall for me because of work. As a professor I teach, serve, and do research. I'm teaching 3 classes (that's a lot because of the other two commitments), may be integrating more effectively into the social services network in my community, and both wrapping up a small research project as well as drafting some articles. And I have an idea for a professional book. It's a lot to get done.
It's also a continuation of the ongoing self-perception shift I have been having to make, from frontline service provider or service manager to faculty member. The priorities are very different. I've had to start paying attention to different information, and manage my time differently. And seeing results is on a much longer time horizon than I'm accustomed to.
But it's coming together, I think. The change hasn't been easy, which for me feels strange because I'm someone who usually invites change (sometimes too much, I think my spouse might say). Usually I handle it well. Maybe this was a bigger change that I was expecting!
So let me ask you, what's something that's going on for you that you'd like to keep the same (because you need a foundation to work from), and what's something you'd like to change in your life? It doesn't have to be big, for instance flossing nightly is a good goal if you don't already do that. What makes sense for you? And how are you going to make it happen? (Buying more floss is necessary if you want to floss nightly - set yourself up for success.)
I'm cheering for you!

Comments